Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Active Desktop Calendar

An officemate of mine has this software that sits on her desktop which she uses to track events in her calendar. Intrigued by it, I asked if she can share this software to me since I've been actually looking for a program that can remind me of certain calendar events that I want to take note of most especially birthdays & anniversaries. However, when I used the program in my PC (it's the freeware version of Desktop Calendar & it doesn't require any installation), I found that it doesn't actually serve the purpose that I was looking for, which is a desktop calendar/reminder that can allow events to recur weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. So I went & searched for a torrent of the upgraded version of it (which can do the "recurring event" function I was looking for but costs $14.99) but found the Active Desktop Calendar (ADC) instead. I decided to check it out & am glad that it didn't disappoint...although it takes a bit of getting used to.

So...why am I loving this software so much? Let me count the ways...

-Adding birthdays, special occasions, events, etc. is probably the most tedious thing you'll ever do in setting up your calendar, but once done, everything will be a breeze! (I tried the Import via CSV tool but it didn't work since I was not able to replicate the formatting it needs for the CSV import to be successful.).

-The Export & Import facility allows you to easily add events to another PC running ADC, which is the case for me since I have it both at home and in the office. That's why I was easily able to import the birthdays that I manually added in my ADC at home to my ADC at the office (Needless to say, it was just a one-time set up of birthdays for both my home and office PC).

-The software also has a "Task" pane which can act as a To-Do list...but it would have been nicer to have checkboxes as the bullets for this list to be able to easily put a check/tick mark on it once a task is done

-There's a lot of cute icons to choose from and options to change how the calendars & notes are shown on the desktop

Well of course, if there are positives, then there are negatives as well. One of which is that the program takes quite a while to load on startup, which is a letdown, but you can always choose for it NOT to load upon startup if you're the type of person who wants to use the computer as soon as it loads. Also, there's no facility to sync calendar events from Lotus Notes, which is the facility we use to schedule meetings at the office. But it has options to sync events from Microsoft Outlook & Google Calendars...so I guess if you're a user of that then "YEY!!! I'm happy for you!"

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this software since it's made it easier to setup reminders especially those TV shows that I download a day after it is shown in the US. If you guys want a copy of the software, let me know...i'll try to find the torrent like that I used to download it. In the meantime, feel free to view my desktop with ADC in the images below.Ü




No comments: