Sunday, March 07, 2010

"Xerox" is NOT another word for "copy"


Originally posted @ http://cdsaint.blogspot.com

"Xerox" is NOT another word for "copy".

And "MTV" is NOT another word for "music video".

Just like "Colgate" is NOT another word for "toothpaste". Thank heavens we've surpassed that era (Have we, really?).

I came across a notice in the Manila Bulletin - March 3, 2010 issue with the heading "XEROX. It's not just another word for copy." Hear, hear! I cringe every time I hear someone say: "Papa-Xerox ko lang 'to." or something to that effect.

Now, don't get me started with "MTV." Goodness gracious! I hear this every time...especially on those noon time shows or when singers plug a new single and they say: "The MTV was shot by..." Oh my golly! When will they learn? I sure hope they learn soon...

So...let me reiterate:

Xerox is NOT another word for copy.
MTV is NOT another word for music video. [MTV is a brand, dear people.]
Colgate is NOT another word for toothpaste.

Now, I rest my case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excuse me, xerox has been adapted as a word by Merriam Webster. Even their online dictionary shows the meaning they associated with the word. Just so your're updated. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xerox